Stand by – the mother of all instructions is on the way…..
Did the “New Computers” thing recently with a desktop and a laptop.
- The hardest part is removing all of the junk that comes on the computer – PC Decrapifier helps.
- Once everything is stripped down to the bare Windows OS – Run all your Windows Updates to get everything current on 8.1
- Antivirus / Firewall / Malware? UNINSTALL WHATEVER CAME ON YOUR COMPUTER ”Windows Defender for Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 provides built-in protection against malware. You can’t use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8.1, but you don’t need to—Windows Defender is already included and ready to go. But if you’re looking to protect a PC with an older version of Windows, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials to help guard against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It provides free* real-time protection for your home or small business PCs.
- Office Suite - Office 365 is a no brainer. Split across a household or with a few friends the price is right, even for one user the price is still better than the old Office pricing.
- More to come . . .
- Picasa / tweetdeck / snipping / notebook / filezilla/ iTunes / Spotify / Google Earth / VLCPaint / (Bundled)
- Skydrive vs DropBox / OneNote vs. Evernote
- Carbonite / Soluto
- NO CCleaner – problems
Here is a little surprise I received upon returning from vacation. I was editing a blog and when I went to save the post an error popped up reading:
- The server (our server domain, e.g. DOMAIN.COM) at Magic requires a username and password.
Well isn’t that special?
The problem is caused by the vars.php file located in the WP-INCLUDES folder. Someone did a SQL Injection (Read More Here) and added code to the file.
The fix is an easy one – 2 steps:
- Download a new version of the vars.php file from WordPress and replace the corrupted one. Look here – Simply choose your WordPress version
- Update WordPress to the latest version!
Normally, the files starts:
* Creates common globals for the rest of WordPress
* Sets $pagenow global which is the current page. Checks
* for the browser to set which one is currently being used.
* Detects which user environment WordPress is being used on.
* Only attempts to check for Apache and IIS. Two web servers
* with known permalink capability.
* @package WordPress
But after it has been “hacked” there is encrypted text reading something like:
So once again, Look here – Simply choose your WordPress version, go to WP-INLUDES, download Vars.php and replace the one on your server. Then update WordPress for better security.
Posted in Wordpress
Tagged Authentication, Blog software, Data management, Hack, Magic, Password, php, PHP programming language, SQL, SQL injection, text reading, Wordpress