How To Manage Pictures From Multiple Digital Cameras
Here’s the scenario. You and your spouse both have digital cameras and want to put the photos from them in one folder – but when you do they will be out of order because they have different filenames.
Or maybe you have a group and several people have sent you photos of an event. They all have different filenames and again, they will be out of order in a single photo album folder.
Here is a free, simple solution. Grab yourself a free copy of Namexif. I usually save it to my desktop, but my desktop is very uncluttered. You could save it in whatever folder you like and make a shortcut to your Quicklaunch bar if you like. Or Pin it to your start menu. Or Whatever floats your boat – just remember where it is.
Namexif is a tool to automatically rename photos with the date and time they were shot.
Digital cameras have their own clock and record the date and time of each photo with a precision of one second. Since the date and time is recorded for each photo, Namexif is able to rename these photos with that information.
- Run the Program
- First Screen is the Splash Screen (Next>)
- Legal Agreement (Next>)
- Photo Selection!
- Select ADD FILES and a menu will open asking you what files you want to add.
- Navigate to the folder where your photos are stored and swipe all the files you want to change the names of.
- Click NEXT and then CHOOSE THE FORMAT. I use the second (default) setting.
- Click NEXT> and don’t blink!
- Click Finish or work on another folder!
Now all of you photos have been renamed! The key is to have the clock set correctly on your camera. Every once in a while you might want to “Synchronize Watches” with your spouse or friend. If the camera clocks are off a few minutes it’s not that big of a deal but the closer together the clocks are the better the photos line up chronologically.
Let’s run through the process one more time:
- You take photos, friend takes photos
- Collect all the photos in one folder on your computer
- Run Nameexif
- All the photos have been renamed according to their timestamps
- Reorder the folder
One caveat! If you have the same type of camera you may initially have the same filenames! In that case or if you are concerned, put the pictures from each camera in their own folders. Run exif on both folders then put the photos in a single folder.